Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Euphemism

Portraying disagreement in polite words is fine as long as it doesn't cross the line. But it often does. Political correctness is in. Its so in that the day is not far when we have to order for an African American coffee. Prison is "correctional facility" and torture is "physical persuasion". Grandpa isn't old. He's a "senior". We buy "pre-owned" cars. Cancer is "the big C". I wonder why? Whats wrong with poor old cancer?

Why is euphemism used everywhere? Who cares? I hate Euphemism.

On the other hand, maybe I don't. I could use it creatively. Should I fix the bugs in my code or perform some "reliability enhancement" procedures perhaps? Hmm..

Peace.
AMD

5 comments:

Ritu said...

Someone at office once joked about this - "Soon a Blackberry will be called a 'disadvantaged-by-colour'-berry"!

AMD said...

Disadvantaged? I would think thats too harsh! Differently Advantaged, shall we say?

Ritu said...

hmm... but the question is why to call it differently? By making such deviations, we highlight the differences even more, don't you agree?

AMD said...

The point is that using a different name isn't going to resolve differences, or for that matter, the world is not going to suddenly become a better place for a cripple to live in, if you call him/her physically challenged. Same with the blacks. Everyone is getting so used to the euphemism thats being thrown at us, from every possible angle.

Maurillio said...

I think societies find euphemisms for things that scare them. Nowadays we are scared by everything, not able to discuss openly about injustice which we cause and horrible things menace our immortality. In my Country cancer is called "the bad illness" because people are scared of pronouncing the word. Cheers